Whether it is performing on stage, a wedding speech, funeral eulogy, or a presentation at work – stage fright can make it really hard. In this post I give my top 5 homeopathic remedies for stage fright as well as some extra tips too.
Homeopathy for Stage Fright – What You Need to Know
Why Consider Homeopathy for Stage Fright?
The key to success with using homeopathic remedies is in selecting the right ones! If we took a group of 100 people all with some kind of stage fright they would all be experiencing it in their own individual way. How and why they felt that fear. When we choose a remedy that is what we aim to match. To find the tailor-made remedy.
There are many positives in using homeopathy for stage fright. Most people find it is free from the kinds of problems and side effects that you may experience with pharmaceutical drugs for these situations. And it does not interact with any other medications you might be taking.
Top 5 Homeopathic Remedies for Stage Fright
- Aconite – this is a remedy we think of when there is a state of panic or terror. Shaking, shallow and rapid breathing, maybe tingling feelings and numbness. This would be the kind of stage fright that takes the form of a panic attack.
- Argentum Nitricum – think of Alice in Wonderland’s White Rabbit character. As I was taught many years ago, this remedy is all about “hurry, worry, scurry!” Anxious and rushed there is an awful sense of apprehension and fright. The worry may mean extra trips to the toilet.
- Arsenicum Album – there can be a sense of restless panic. Unmoved by reassurance, the fear and anguish feels overwhelming. You may have prepared well with detailed colour-coded notes or highlighted lists, and still there may be a sense that you just can’t do this.
- Gelsemium – this is a lovely remedy to consider when the stage fright means you feel like a rabbit in frozen in the headlights. Paralysed by the fear. You may tremble and feel weak.
- Lycopodium – this is another remedy where there may be an awful feeling of dread. Stage fright nerves that go to your stomach before a performance or speech. The difference here is that you may tend to want to delay and postpone rather than rush or hurry into anything. The good news is that once you start, however, you get into the flow and may even enjoy yourself.
There are many remedies we can consider if you are struggling with stage fright, but these are a good place to start. You can read Materia Medica to find out more about find out more about these and many others.
How Do I Use Homeopathy for Stage Fright?
Homeopathic remedies are easy to take. If you are new to homeopathy you might find my post on how to take homeopathic remedies useful.
Find the remedy that provides the best match for how you feel when you have stage fright or are about to give a presentation. If you use homeopathic remedies already you may know what strength suits you, a 30c for example. Otherwise consider starting with a 6c, and increasing in strength to a 30c or 200c if needed.
Take one pillule a few times quite close together if your stage fright feels pronounced, three over an hour for example. Reduce the frequency as you feel calmer. You may also like to take one at intervals, hourly or every two hours for example, as soon as you start to experience even the slightest niggle. This may help it from building to a crescendo!
You can be flexible, take them according to how you respond and what works for you. But it is often a good idea to start with a low strength and notice your response. Then gradually increase strength and frequency if needed.
Another tip is to drop a pillule into your water bottle, and then you have it with you and can sip as needed.
Tips for Self-Management for Stage Fright
There are a range of straightforward approaches you can add in which may be of help.
- Box breathing – this is a brilliantly simple and quick way to hack into and help calm your nervous system.
- There are a number of ways that you can use NLP (neuro linguistic programming) as support for stage fright.
- You can also consider having hypnotherapy and/or learning self-hypnosis.
- Taking some everyday practical steps can also make a difference. You can find some useful suggestions in Homeopathic Remedies for Anxiety.
From Stage Fright to Stage Delight!
Many of us will feel nervous at some point in our lives when called upon to speak or perform. But when these nerves become so powerful that we cannot function well, then it is time to consider homeopathy for stage fright.
The key, as I mentioned earlier, is to find the remedy that matches how you feel. If you are not sure, do contact me, and we can put together a tailor-made approach for you.
I hope you have found this post about homeopathy for stage fright to be of interest. If you would like to book an initial free 15 minute phone or mini-consultation to see if my approach might suit you, please do contact me. I see patients in clinic at Lewes and Barns Green in Sussex, and also via Skype.