We all know how important good quality sleep is for our health and happiness. But what are your options if you struggle with sleep? Find out more about homeopathy for insomnia support.
Can Homeopathy for Insomnia Help?
What Causes Insomnia?
Insomnia is incredibly common. It can be a long-term condition or a temporary issue. People can struggle with insomnia for a range of reasons.
- Stress, overload and anxiety
- Disrupted sleep patterns from shift-work
- Looking after family members
- Pain or a condition that affects sleep
- Hormonal factors such as menopause
- Lifestyle factors
Why People Choose Homeopathy for Insomnia
Concern About Side-Effects from Sleeping Pills
People are often drawn to homeopathy for insomnia support because they are concerned about taking drugs. As with any pharmaceutical medication there can be side-effects from sleeping pills. And in the longer term there is the potential to become dependent upon them.
Homeopathic remedies do not tend to have the physical side-effects associated with pharmaceuticals. And that fuzzy headed feeling the following morning after taking sleeping pills does not usually happen with homeopathic remedies. If you are a particularly sensitive person lower strength remedies can be used.
Individually Tailored Insomnia Support for the Whole Person
Another difference is that the homeopath sees and treats you as a person who is struggling with insomnia. Rather than disregarding the background and overall picture we value it. Alongside your past and current medical history and how life has been we factor in the characteristics of how the insomnia is for you. When it started and if there is a reason. How you experience it, how you feel, the timings, etc. That enables the homeopath to find the best match they can for a remedy to support you.
Homeopathy for Insomnia – Support Remedies to Consider
We have many remedies that we use in practice to support patients with insomnia. The ones mentioned here are to give you an idea of the information we take into account when selecting remedies.
Homeopathic Remedies for People with Insomnia
- Aconite – homeopaths would think of this remedy when someone is anxious. You may have trouble settling to sleep. Or wake with a jolt in the early hours of the morning. You may also feel so anxious that it tips over into real sense of fear. There may have been a specific fright or shock that prompted the insomnia. Or you may feel anxious generally.
- Arsenicum Album – this is another remedy where anxiety is an important part of the picture. Your busy mind worrying about everything. And what might happen or go wrong.
- Coffea Cruda – this remedy is often an example we give to explain “like curing like”, a central concept in homeopathy. If you have ever had too much or too strong coffee you may have had that feeling of your mind and heart racing. Coffea is the remedy to think of if you feel wired. Maybe from too much caffeine. But also from an overly busy day or evening. It can also be from excitement or a shock. Your system feels too hyperactive to go to sleep.
- Cocculus Ind – for when someone has become physically or mentally exhausted and cannot sleep. You may have a feeling of dizziness. You can feel empty and drowsy. This might happen if you are caring for or nursing family members. Or perhaps are unwell or overloaded yourself.
- Nux Vom – a busy mind thinking about work or all you have to do may wake you at night. And once awake it can be hard to go back to sleep. If you use alcohol to wind down and then need coffee to rev up in the morning this might be a good remedy to consider to support your system.
Homeopathy for Insomnia – When to Seek Help
There are many remedies to choose from when considering using homeopathy for insomnia. Where it is relatively straightforward and you are in good health self-help may be enough to tip the balance back into good sleep.
If the situation is longer-term, or more complex such as at menopause, it can be good to see if a homeopath can offer more support. We draw upon a wider range of remedies and strengths. You can read more materia medica about homeopathy for insomnia. And a homeopath will draw upon an even wider range with insomnia in their profiles!
As always, if a condition is not responding or is having an impact on your life or health it is important to see your GP to check that nothing is being overlooked.
How to Take Homeopathy for Insomnia
If you are taking homeopathic remedies as self-help it is best to start with lower strengths such as a 6c or 30c. You can try taking one early evening. Repeat before you go to bed and then again if you wake in the night. People vary in terms of how sensitive they are so it can be useful to try them on an evening ahead of a relatively clear day so you can see how you respond.
And if you are new to using remedies and considering homeopathy for insomnia you can find out more about how to take homeopathic remedies.
Additional Support Measures for Insomnia
There are many factors to consider if you are suffering with insomnia. You can refer to a check list and listen to a BBC Radio Sussex Interview for Help with Sleep Problems.
As well as homeopathy, hypnotherapy for insomnia, dietary and lifestyle factors may all play a part in helping you sleep better.
Homeopathy for Insomnia Support
Lack of sleep can feel torturous. A short-term blip can be challenge enough but a chronic lack of sleep can make life a herculean struggle. Working with the whole person can allow us to consider any factors that may be contributing to the sleep issues. And to explore a range of homeopathic remedies that may offer support.
I hope you have found this post on homeopathy for insomnia to be helpful. I see patients in West and East Sussex, and also via Skype. If you would like to book a free mini-appointment to see if my approach might suit you, please do contact me.